History of the Museum
The Real County Historical Commission sponsored the opening of a museum as a project for the Texas 1986 Sesquicentennial. On October 22, 1983, Charley and Lillian Boren gave the building on Evergreen Street to be used as a museum. This was a big start. In January 1984 our Sponsoring entity, the Real County Commissioners Court budgeted $2,500 to renovate the museum building. This was the beginning of what we have today! Letters were mailed out to friends, contributions began to come in and remodeling began.
On December 6, 1985, the first Board of Trustees became organized.
President: Elizabeth Sansom
1st Vice President: Rosetta Nance
2nd Vice President: Charlie Goff
Treasurer: Billy Joe Brice
Secretary: Kitty Harrison
Others named as Trustees along with the above officers: Oma Bell Perry, Bette Kirkpatrick, LaVerna Taylor, Jimmie Dean, L. D. Smith, Rob Dulaney, Laura Bunton, and Kathy Brooks
The next month the following Trustees were added: Ona Bea Godbold, Hallie Chisum, Jimmie Sanderlin, and Paul Burrier.
The Real County Historical Museum was dedicated on July 27, 1986, at 4 p.m. at the Real County Courthouse.
The Ashley and Laura Bunton Addition began in 1988. Extra land was purchased from Wade and Barbee Reagor in 1989. Mrs. Mayde Butler gave the building north of the museum to the Real County Historical Museum in memory of her father Charles H. Waddel. This building was originally a blacksmith shop owned and operated by Cornelius Crenshaw in 1915. A barn was built on the Reagor land. A rock and picket fence was added in 1994. The curbs and sidewalks soon followed.
To show gratitude for the support of the community, the Real County Historical Museum purchased the monument that is located on the courthouse square and dedicated it to all of the Real County Veterans.